Finding out exactly why a materials failure has occurred is essential in order to get your product design right and avoid costly repeat issues.
We can identify and interpret fractographic clues, providing you with the evidence you need to understand failure mechanisms.
You’ll benefit from our internationally recognised expertise in failure and accident investigation, plus the insights gained from our extensive experience across sectors such as energy, aerospace, marine and rail.
Our clients include the UK’s Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB), Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) and Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB), Siemens Mobility Ltd and BAE Systems. Learn more about our accident investigation work.
Across the team we have the skills and knowledge to recognise and understand all the main failure mechanisms that materials go through.
Our failure investigation service
We have the testing and analysis facilities needed to determine the cause of failure.
Common failure mechanisms include:
- rolling contact fatigue
- electrical arcing.
Depending on the nature of your failure problem, the process could include:
- forensic materials engineering
- macro and micro examination
- testing of extracted coupon samples
- characterisation and measurement
- CT (computed tomography) for internal failures
- professional opinions and expert witness services.
Once we have completed our testing and analysis, you’ll receive a comprehensive report detailing the results and our opinion on the cause of failure. We will also be happy to discuss the findings with you.
My career has given me a unique skill set – knowledge of how materials break, and the experience to identify and interpret the clues to find the underlying cause.
Meet our failure investigation expert
Nicola Symonds, Director of nC2, is an internationally recognised expert in the field of forensic materials engineering. She draws on 20 years’ experience, including 10 years working on accident investigations at the Ministry of Defence, and projects for each of the government’s transport accident investigation agencies. Find out more about Nicola’s failure investigation expertise.
They have highly magnified analytical equipment to understand the cause of our problem, which we do not have, coupled with people with experience in materials and material failure… that’s why we turned to nC².
It has been a pleasure to work with nC²… they were passionate to assist us with our problem … The time to find the failure was reduced due to the great work carried out by nC².
Now that we’ve had the report from nC² to highlight what the problem was in our product, we’ve been able to take steps to mitigate the problem with a change of design.
Excellent service, well delivered.
What we offer
- Free initial consultation and bespoke quote, which may include free practice tests to determine the best test plan – if you’re not sure exactly what you need, we can advise you.
- A choice of packages to suit your requirements.
- Tests tailored to your needs, run by specialist staff in our state-of-the-art labs.
- A comprehensive report including results and expert advice, plus a meeting to discuss the results.
Why choose nC2?
- An investigation, testing and analysis service of the highest quality.
- Access to specialised facilities and knowledge across the University of Southampton.
- Packages to suit your budget and requirements – whether you’re looking for a one-off test or support for a major project.
- Excellent customer service – we’ll keep you in the loop every step of the way.
- High levels of customer satisfaction.