Materials naturally degrade when they are exposed to the elements – understanding how and at what rate is crucial for new product design.
We have the expertise and cutting-edge facilities to give you insights into how paints, metallic/polymer coatings and other materials behave in specific conditions – from direct sunlight to undersea immersion. The results will enable you to choose the most effective corrosion-resistant solution for your product.
Our corrosion testing service
We will work with you to design bespoke tests to suit your requirements, for example:
- long-term environmental tests which expose samples to specific conditions over a period of months
- shorter-running electrochemical tests, which accelerate the corrosion process
- or a combination of the two, allowing us to correlate results for additional insights.
After testing, we analyse the samples using a range of state-of-the-art characterisation equipment.
Environmental test facilities
- environmental chambers (salt fog, humidity and temperature)
- UV cabinet
- long-term submerged sea water exposure facilities at the National Oceanography Centre, Southampton
- outdoor exposure racking with weather station
- cathodic protection measurement equipment.
Electrochemical test facilities
Our benchtop laboratory potentiostats are capable of various electrochemical techniques to determine corrosion rates and surface characteristics. Testing services include:
- Tafel extrapolation
- linear polarisation resistance
- zero resistance ammetry
- impedance spectroscopy
- potential monitoring.
- We have facilities for a range of tests including pull-off adhesion testing, colour change analysis, gloss change analysis and scratch testing.
- You’ll receive a comprehensive report detailing the results and our analysis, and we will be happy to discuss the findings with you.
- The results can be used to rank materials or coatings for resistance to corrosion under your specified conditions.
Watch Chris Hawkins, DSTL, talk about our corrosion services and his experience of working with us.
“My industry experience has given me a focus on rigour and quality management that I apply to all my client’s corrosion projects.”
“When clients come to us with a problem, we’ve got the expertise to dig a bit deeper and make sure they get the answers they really need.”
“We’ve got the experience and equipment to solve our clients’ corrosion-related problems, and access to specialist input from academics at the University if we need it.”
Meet our corrosion testing expert
Spencer Court, Senior Corrosion Consultant, is our corrosion and environmental testing specialist. Having joined nC2 in 2016 after 15 years in the oil/gas and marine industries, he has a wealth of experience and expertise to bring to your corrosion testing project. Find out more about Spencer.
“nC² had the equipment and expertise to deliver the research, and the links at the University to consider some more novel methods.”
“I was impressed by nC²’s professionalism in undertaking tests in the lab, and also being able to analyse that data and present it to myself and colleagues.”
What we offer
- Free initial consultation and bespoke quote – if you’re not sure exactly what you need, we can advise you.
- A choice of packages to suit your requirements.
- Tests tailored to your needs, run by specialist staff in our state-of-the-art labs.
- A comprehensive report including results and expert advice, plus a meeting to discuss the results.
Why choose nC2?
- A testing service of the highest quality, plus expert analysis of the results.
- Access to highly specialised facilities and knowledge across the University of Southampton.
- Packages to suit your budget and requirements – whether you’re looking for a one-off test or support for a major project.
- Excellent customer service – we’ll keep you in the loop every step of the way.
- High levels of customer satisfaction.