Paints and coatings are both protective and cosmetic. To be effective, they need to be able to maintain these dual functions over time.
We have the expertise and cutting-edge facilities to give you insights into how paints and metallic or polymer coatings perform. The results will enable you to choose the most effective paint or coating solution for your environment.
We have facilities for both environmental and electrochemical testing.
Please note that we specialise in bespoke testing for research, product development and paint/coating selection – we are not an accredited test house for the purposes of certificates of conformity.
Our paint testing service
We will work with you to design bespoke tests to suit your requirements, such as long-term environmental tests which expose samples to specific conditions over a period of months.
After testing, we analyse the samples using a range of state-of-the-art characterisation equipment.
Our environmental test facilities include:
- environmental chambers (salt fog, humidity and temperature)
- UV cabinet
- long-term submerged sea water exposure facilities at the National Oceanography Centre Southampton
- outdoor exposure racking with weather station
- We have facilities for a range of tests including dry film thickness, adhesion testing, colour change analysis, gloss change analysis, bend testing, scratch testing and water permeability testing. Find out more about our materials characterisation services.
- You’ll receive a comprehensive report detailing our results and analysis, and we will be happy to discuss the findings with you.
- We can use the results to rank materials or coatings for their performance under your specified conditions where required.
Watch Chris Hawkins, DSTL, talk about our paint testing services and his experience of working with us.
When clients come to us with a problem, we’ve got the expertise to dig a bit deeper and make sure they get the answers they really need.
Our tests can help you understand how coatings or paints will perform over time, in terms of both their protective and cosmetic role, so you can make the best choice for your product.
Meet our paint and coatings testing experts
Dr Spencer Court, Senior Consultant, is our coatings and environmental testing specialist. Having joined nC2 in 2016 after 15 years in the oil/gas and marine industries, he has a wealth of experience and expertise to bring to your paint or coatings project. Find out more about Spencer.
nC² had the equipment and expertise to deliver the research, and the links at the University to consider some more novel methods.
I was impressed by nC²’s professionalism in undertaking tests in the lab, and also being able to analyse that data and present it to myself and colleagues.
What we offer
- Free initial consultation and bespoke quote – if you’re not sure exactly what you need, we can advise you.
- A choice of packages to suit your requirements.
- Tests tailored to your needs, run by specialist staff in our state-of-the-art labs.
- A comprehensive report including results and expert advice, plus a meeting to discuss the results.
Why choose nC2?
- A testing service of the highest quality, plus expert analysis of the results from staff with extensive industrial experience.
- Access to highly specialised facilities and knowledge across the University of Southampton.
- Packages to suit your budget and requirements – whether you’re looking for a one-off test or support for a major project.
- Excellent customer service – we’ll keep you in the loop every step of the way.
- High levels of customer satisfaction.